Ashdown Forest linocuts, stage 3

Another layer on each of these prints.

Ashdown Forest linocut, stage 3

Ashdown Forest linocut, stage 3

And I’m still not happy. The second one has been particularly awkward. After printing a few, I noticed something wrong on the right edge of the print:

Ashdown Forest linocut, stage 3

There’s a strip of the underlying yellow layer showing down the edge of the print. It looks like misregistration — but the left edge of the print is correctly registered. It’s as if the block shrunk while it went through the press! The error is only a few millimetres wide, but that’s enough to mar a small print like this (it’s 10cm square).

After printing another copy I found that the error was consistent. I fixed it by hand-burnishing that edge before putting the block through the press, which seem to stick it in the correct place.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.